CPSC estimates that from 2008 to 2010, portable electric heaters were involved in approximately 1,每年200起火灾.
Portable electric heaters are high-wattage appliances that have the potential to ignite nearby combustible materials like curtains, 床, 沙发, 纸, 服装, 以及易燃液体. If ignition results from a heater left on and unattended, a major fire could result.
CPSC recommends the following for the safe use of electric heaters:
- Never operate a heater you suspect is damaged. Before use, inspect the heater, cord, and plug for damage. Follow all operation and maintenance instructions.
- Never leave the heater operating while unattended, or while you are sleeping.
- Keep combustible material such as 床, 沙发, curtains, 纸s, and clothes at least 3 feet (0.9 m) from the front, sides, and rear of the heater.
- Be sure the heater plug fits tightly into the 壁装电源插座. If not, do not use the 出口 to power the heater.
- 在使用过程中, check frequently to determine if the heater plug or cord, 壁装电源插座, 或面板是热的! 如果插头, 出口, 或者面板是热的, 停止使用加热器, and have a qualified electrician check and/or replace the plug or faulty 壁装电源插座(s). 如果电线是热的, 断开加热器, and have it inspected/repaired by an authorized repair person.
- Never power the heater with an extension cord or power strip.
- Insure that the heater is placed on a stable, 等值面, and located where it will not be knocked over.
- When purchasing a heater, ask the salesperson whether the heater has been safety-certified. A certified heater will have a safety certification mark.
- Never run the heater’s cord under rugs or carpeting. This can damage the cord, causing it and nearby objects to burn.
- To prevent electrical shocks and electrocutions, always keep electric heaters away from water, and NEVER touch an electric heater if you are wet.
- 传播消息! 信息rm family, friends, and coworkers of the ways to use an electric heater more safely.
U.S. Consumer Product 安全 Commission (CPSC)